[mythtv-users] How can i add firewire to my computer?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Dec 7 20:21:15 UTC 2007

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics wrote:
> Hello, I have a cable box, and i'd love to get my hd channels from it
> instead of plunking down $175 or so for a hd homerun. My problem is that I
> don't have any firewire ports on my motherboard, and all the pci slots are
> used by my pvr-500 tuner cards (one is actually free, but the heatsink from
> my video card completely covers up that free slot). So how can I add
> firewire to my computer? I've seen pci add-in cards that give you firewire,
> but are there any other options? I don't have any pci or pci-x slots to use,
> unless i want to lose one of my two pvr-500 tuners.
>
> I'm running a core 2 duo processor on a gigabyte GA-945GZM-S2 motherboard.

You may be able to make use of that slot if you re-arrange your cards,
and use a flexible riser/extender for a firewire card. Check out
logicsupply.com, under ->Accessories -> PCI Riser Cards. I had to use a
flexible extender and VIA 2-slot riser to fit cards on my SP13000 (and
now ASUS P5L-MX) motherboards into my Silverstone LC-11 case. Worked
like a charm.

Geoff