[mythtv-users] Fedora 8 bug looking for help

Mitch Gore mitchell.gore at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 21:13:22 UTC 2007

On Dec 7, 2007 2:09 PM, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:

> David George wrote:
> > On 12/06/2007 11:11 PM, Mitch Gore wrote:
> >> On Dec 6, 2007 9:44 PM, Christopher X. Candreva <chris at westnet.com
> >> <mailto:chris at westnet.com>> wrote:
> >>
> >>     On Thu, 6 Dec 2007, Mitch Gore wrote:
> >>
> >>     > It has since been resolved but with the resolution I don't see
> >>     how i can
> >>     > install F8 on my machine that only has sata drives.  I currently
> >>     have FC6
> >>     > installed on my backend and wanted to upgrade to F8 as FC6 is
> EOL.
> >>
> >>     Since you are doing an upgrade, you can upgrade via yum on the
> running
> >>     system:
> >>
> >>     http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq
> >>
> >>     I've done this a few times, including 7->8 but not specificly 6->8.
> >>
> >>     This will upgrade directly to the current versions from updates so
> >>     you can
> >>     skip the buggy package.
> >>

> >> Im just afraid that its going to cause problems then i am going to be
> >> stuck rebuilding everything with F7 clean install.  If thats the case
> >> i would rather just leave the server alone and wait for F9.  If i do
> >> F7 im going to be in the same situation in 6 months.
> >>
> >> Does Fedora ever update the ISO's for a version or do they just leave
> >> it alone?  Seems kind of dumb that they would just leave it alone when
> >> some people cant even install the OS if they moved from Windows.
> > Fedora Unity ( http://fedoraunity.org ) releases respins.  I haven't
> > used their F8 respins, but I have used earlier ones.
> >
> > I have also gone the yum upgrade method.  Not specifically the one
> > above, but I looked at the link and it is similar to the one I used.
> > No-one recommends skipping a version, but you can try it if you are
> > brave.  Just make sure you have backups, including a mysql dump so you
> > can restore the database.  If you do end up going to F7 (you can upgrade
> > by installing the F7 CD and selecting upgrade), you should be able to
> > use the yum upgrade method to go to 8.
> >

> I would strongly suggest that you use the 'nuke it and start fresh'
> route. I presently have 4 running machines (down from 5) and all of them
> have been upgraded/re-installed from time to time. EVERY time I tried to
> do a major step upgrade, I had problems. It takes only a little more
> time to do a complete install.
>
> There are actually few files which you *need* to keep, mostly 'your own'
> stuff, likely in /usr/local/sbin and /usr/local/bin, plus your /home
> folders. I just copy those to somewhere along with all of /etc although
> you need only about a half dozen files from there, mainly to avoid
> having to re-enter things (hosts, modprobe.conf, any changes to bashrc,
> ld.so.conf, the extra init.d scripts we know and need (mythbackend,
> lirc) etc. etc.
>
> It's also a good opportunity to re-arrange the hardware, buy another
> (bigger!) hard drive for video storage, move the OS to its own drive, etc.

> [...]

I agree clean installs are the way to go!   i just need to wait for fedora
unity to make a updated respin of F8.  All they have now is F8 everything
(which i surely dont want every package installed on a mythbox) and a F8 CD
spin.  Ill wait and maybe a month they will have a updated F8 spin so i can
install F8 clean.

thanks,
Mitchell