[mythtv-users] seagate giving refunds out

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Dec 7 21:44:27 UTC 2007

On 12/07/2007 03:08 PM, jedi wrote:

>> Seagate has had a good run of drives for the past few years and
>> I can not complain. Penalizing a manufacturer for the buyer's
>> ignorance is nuts. It's as irresponsible as it is incredible.
>>

>   No. Kilobyte has been a well established term of art for DECADES.

Which has had no less than 3 accepted meanings during those same decades.

>   It is intended to be computationally convenient.
>
>   Once upon a time, SI units were intended to be computationally
> convenient rather than merely arbitrary. Seagate chose to be
> slimy about this and got caught.
>
>   It's like getting caught in a speed trap.

When you're driving the speed limit, as posted in MPH--say 60MPH--and
the police officer says you're doing 96.56064 because he has his speed
gun set to display in KPH.

Again, MS should be the one being sued.  After all, they're the ones
lying about the disk capacity by saying it's 698GB, when it's really 698GiB.

Mike