[mythtv-users] Playback issues with myth frontend over a wireless network

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Dec 9 19:33:13 UTC 2007

Charles H. Chapman wrote:
> William Munson:
>> Simple answer. Your wireless G card does not have the bandwidth or
>> latency to stream tv signals.
>
> Categorically untrue.  I am streaming HD over wireless G (up to 1080i
> material, the highest resolution source I have available) with no
> problems at all -- no pauses, hicups, out-of-sync audio or anything
> else.  It's all a matter of 1) selecting wireless adapters that are well
> supported in Linux (like the Intel chipset in my frontend) and 2)
> configuring things properly.

I agree totally. I can't tell you how many wireless systems I have seen
that the owner says are "working fine", when all they really mean is
that they seem able to communicate with the internet. They don't see the
multiple retries or perceive the slowness since even a poorly operating
802.11 net is much faster than most home internet connections, and
latency is something not understood by most consumers (unless they have
satellite internet).

beww