[mythtv-users] OT: New Motherboard PCI Slots

Gert van der Knokke gertk at xs4all.nl
Sun Dec 9 22:46:31 UTC 2007

PK wrote:
> Hello,
>
>   I am looking to rebuild one of my MythTV boxes with a newer mainstream AMD based system (AM2). As I look at the ATX motherboards on Newegg's site (and TigerDirect), the number of PCI slots seem to default to 2-3 slots. There are a few 4 slot boards and no 5 slot-ers. I realise PCI-e slots need their room, but I like to space out my Hauppauge PVR-xxx tuners for air circulation. Am I looking in the wrong places, or should I be looking for something else?

I have built my new backend on a Foxconn/Winfast board: N5M2AA-KRS2H

It has (only) 4 PCI slots and built in Gigabit ethernet but no onboard
video (I used an Nvidia 6200 passive cooled PCIe card). (Most boards
with 5 PCI slots tend to have only 100 Mbit onboard networking.

It runs OK even though the new CPU isn't exactly correct recognized in
the Bios (low power BE2350 CPU)

Three PCI slots are filled with resp. 2 PVR500 and 1 Nova-S card.

Gert