[mythtv-users] Playback issues with myth frontend over a wireless network

ccmail at bellsouth.net ccmail at bellsouth.net
Mon Dec 10 13:24:31 UTC 2007

William Munson wrote
> As others have previously stated your performance heavily depends on
> your location and the number of other wireless devices in range of your
> router. Where I live there are more than 20 wireless systems within
> range of mine. There are 6-7 systems on channel 6 and 4 more on channel
> 11 and the rest are spread around the other channels. This means that
> whatever channel I use the router will be forced to deal with
> interference. This absolutely kills the bandwidth.

In certain situations wireless may not be practical but to state that 802.11g inherently doesn't have the bandwidth to handle SD and HD TV streaming is not accurate.  You may have to take steps like replacing your 2.4 GHz cordless phones with 5.8 GHz models but they're dirt cheap now ($30 at Circuit City for example), especially compared to the cost of a MythTV setup.

Chuck