[mythtv-users] Pinnacle Remote Kit MCE USB with ir Blaster

Scott Pleavin scott.pleavin at rogers.com
Mon Dec 10 18:34:49 UTC 2007

Fredrik Hallgarde wrote:
> Scott Pleavin skrev:
>
>> I haven't been able to make it work. I see in this forum
>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=388728&highlight=lirc&page=3
>> where someone did get it to work.
>>
>> Scott
>>
>> Matt Emmott wrote:
>>
>>> On Dec 4, 2007 12:18 PM, Fredrik Hallgarde <mythtv at tedde.nu
>>> <mailto:mythtv at tedde.nu>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     Scott Pleavin skrev:
>>>     > Has anyone had success getting the Pinnacle MCE Remote with ir
>>>     blaster
>>>     > to work with Mythtv?
>>>     >
>>>     >
>>>     >

>>> http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Products/Consumer+Products/PCTV+Tuners/PCTV+Vista+Companion/Pinnacle+Remote+Kit+for+Windows+Media+Center
>>>
>>>     >
>>>     >
>>>     > Scott
>>>     >

>>>     >
>>>     >
>>>     The remote looks very much like the MCE remote bundled with recent
>>>     Hauppauge cards (i.e. the MCE kits). If it is indeed the same it
>>> works
>>>     with the most recent lirc drivers (e.g. from cvs) .see
>>>     http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/MCE_Remote
>>>
>>>     Please update the wiki if you buy it...regardless of result.
>>>
>>>     Fredrik
>>>

>>> I've never  seen a combined blaster / receiver. Do they work well? I
>>> guess it sits in front of the cable box and feeds the PC via USB? I'm
>>> tempted to pick up this kit as I need an IR blaster, but I'm nervous
>>> if nobody's used it with Myth yet.

> It should work for you assuming your USB id for the device is the same
> 2304:0225 (check using lsusb).
> Based on that thread you have to get the latest LIRC version AND patch
> it further:
> in the lirc_mceusb2.c file add these lines (line numbers are approximate):
>
> at line 133:
>
> #define VENDOR_PINNACLE         0x2304
>
> at line 175:
>
> { USB_DEVICE(VENDOR_PINNACLE, 0x0225) }, /* Pinnacle Systems, Inc. PCTV Remote USB RC6 */
>

> at line 460:
>
> case 0x90:
>

> after adding these, configure and recompile LIRC. (make sure you use the
> newly compiled lircd, typically /usr/local/sbin/lircd)
> try it out using:
> in one terminal:
>
> service lirc stop
> /usr/local/sbin/lircd -n
>
> in another terminal:
> ls /dev/lir*
> irw
>
> let us know what that gives you.
>
> Fredrik
>
> ps. Do not top post.

> Thanks
This got me a little farther but it still doesn't work. I was able to
get irrecord to complete without the "cannot find gap" error. irw gave
intermittent results, only a couple keys would sometimes work.

I'm wondering if there is a issue with my system. I had a serial
irblaster working on this then when I upgraded to Ubuntu 7.10 and the
latest Mythtv it stopped working. I purchased this USB receiver/blaster
as an alternative. I've just today re-recorded my remote with my serial
ir receiver and I can see with a camera that the codes are being
transmitted but the STB is not responding.