[mythtv-users] SATA data cable security?

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 00:29:51 UTC 2007

I just installed my first SATA drive and I seem to be having problems
with the data cable connection to the disk.  It wouldn't work at first
until I repositioned the cable.  It seemed to work fine after that, so I
closed up the case and put it back on the floor last night.  Today,
when I fired up the system, it was acting sluggish and when I checked
/var/log/messages, I saw a lot of traffic about the SATA drive device.
When I tried to do a listing of files on the mount point, the system got
locked up and it took quite awhile to shutdown.  I almost gave up an
just pulled the plug, but it eventually turned itself off.

What recommendations does the list have for fixing this?

Is the only recourse to keep trying to reposition the cable until I find
a position that is stable (not keen on that approach)?

Is this a case of a mediocre cable and I need to go buy a quality one?

Do I stuff something in the connection to wedge the connector in more
securely?

Please advise.

Craig.