[mythtv-users] SATA data cable security?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Dec 11 00:34:16 UTC 2007

Craig Huff wrote:
> I just installed my first SATA drive and I seem to be having problems
> with the data cable connection to the disk.  It wouldn't work at first
> until I repositioned the cable.  It seemed to work fine after that, so I
> closed up the case and put it back on the floor last night.  Today,
> when I fired up the system, it was acting sluggish and when I checked
> /var/log/messages, I saw a lot of traffic about the SATA drive device.
> When I tried to do a listing of files on the mount point, the system got
> locked up and it took quite awhile to shutdown.  I almost gave up an
> just pulled the plug, but it eventually turned itself off.
>
> What recommendations does the list have for fixing this?
>
> Is the only recourse to keep trying to reposition the cable until I find
> a position that is stable (not keen on that approach)?
>
> Is this a case of a mediocre cable and I need to go buy a quality one?
>
> Do I stuff something in the connection to wedge the connector in more
> securely?
>
> Please advise.

Not specific to SATA cables, but I often put a dab of RTV silicone on
each side of a connector to keep it in place. This is especially useful
in mobile installations.

Any connector that depends only on friction to hold it in place is a
potential problem IMHO, but it's not like we have a lot of choice in the
matter.

beww