[mythtv-users] Use shell script to load dvd?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 00:32:30 UTC 2007

Fredrik Hallgarde wrote:
> Richard Shaw skrev:
>
>> I had an idea and wanted to run it buy you folks! My myth box doesn't
>> have a keyboard or mouse attached, just a remote, so changing settings
>> that require a typed input can be a real pain. I already started using a
>> config file for mplayer so I can make changes over SSH and not require a
>> reboot (since I haven't got my power button to work to restart
>> mythfrontend). So I created a script called xine-dvd.sh in the home
>> directory. I assume this will work for DVD playback since I'm calling
>> dvd:/ instead of passing a text string of the file name. If I want to
>> set this up for other playback options will the %s pass to the shell script?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Richard
>>

> I don't understand the question, and I am pretty sure I am not the only one.
>
> What is your issue and what are you trying (but not able) to do?
> Playing dvds is typically possible using mythdvd and/or xine without the
> need to change anything in particular via ssh/keyboard.
>
> Fredrik

I am experimenting with different options on the command line for Xine.
Also, for troubleshooting reasons I've started redirecting the normal
and error output to log files which makes the commands in Myth very
long. If I call an external script then I don't have to modify the
option in mythfrontend which is a pain without a keyboard. I can make
the change by running mythfrontend over VNC but it will not take effect
for the locally running instance without reloading mythfrontend.

My main question was, is it possible to pass the file name (%s) to the
script?

Another question relating to Xine. I'm running my 4:3 CRT TV at 720x480
over DVI which seems to be the TV's preferred resolution.  To display
16:9 contend it has a picture size button on the remote. Supposedly this
preserves the full resolution of a DVD instead of wasting some of the
resolution on black bars.

I have mythtv and mplayer stretch the video to get the right aspect
ratio for 4:3 content but Xine seems to put the black bars on DVD's
anyway which I don't understand because it shouldn't know the
difference. Or rather it should "think" I'm driving a 16:9 format
monitor, but if I change my TV to 16:9 it doesn't look correct and
leaving it in 4:3 mode looks right. Strange...

Thanks,
Richard