[mythtv-users] compile from source?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Tue Dec 11 01:30:37 UTC 2007

On Mon, Dec 10, 2007 at 06:15:02PM -0600, Joe Menola wrote:
> On Monday 10 December 2007 6:08:51 pm jedi wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 10, 2007 at 05:40:20PM -0500, Greg wrote:
> > > I spent a good part of the day trying to figure out how to compile
> > > mythtv from source..My question is there a guide for 64 bit? It seems
> > > all the how too guide's are different than what i need...
> >
> >   Compiling from source is pretty much the same either way.
> >
> >   That's kinda the point...
> >
> >          ...one makefile to build for 10 unixen and 2 flavors of vms.
>
> And how many different configure options?

    ...which are generally not platform dependent. A good build
script will sort out the necessary platform specific details.
This is how 15 year old tarballs could target SunOS and VMS at the
same time.

    Whether or you have or want to enable libfoo, or where you can
find libbar, or where you want to install the thing are the usual
options and don't have antything to do with i386, amd64 or sparc.

    This is certainly true enough for the myth source even if you
can find other exceptions.

    The requirements and options and niggling nuissances are pretty
much identical between 32bit and 64bit.