[mythtv-users] testing the ps3 patches.

mike lewis lachlanlewis at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 12:05:59 UTC 2007

Hi There.

I've recently subscribed to this list.  I have a ps3 running ubuntu
gutsy.  I'd like to toy with mythtv at 720p resoluions.  I noticed
this post via google:

--->From: "Mark Kendall" <mark.kendall[at]gmail.com>
>To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
>Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] PS3 Patches - anyone want to test them?
>Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 15:15:31 +0100
>
>On 6/21/07, Mark Kendall <mark.kendall[at]gmail.com> wrote:
> > cd ~
> > svn co http://svn.mythtv.org/svn/branches/mythtv-vid
> > cd mythtv-vid
> > wget http://www.btinternet.com/~mark_kendall/mythtvps3.diff
> > patch -p 1 -i mythtvps3.diff
> > chmod +x libs/libmythtv/cell/make_spu.sh
> > libs/libmythtv/cell/make_spu.sh
> > ./configure --enable-ps3
> > qmake mythtv.pro
> > make
> > sudo make install
>
>Just spotted the deliberate mistake. This should read:-
>
>cd ~
>svn co http://svn.mythtv.org/svn/branches/mythtv-vid
>cd mythtv-vid
>wget http://www.btinternet.com/~mark_kendall/mythtvps3.diff
>patch -p 1 -i mythtvps3.diff
>cd libs/libmythtv/cell
>chmod +x make_spu.sh
>./make_spu.sh
>cd ../../..
>./configure --enable-ps3
>qmake mythtv.pro
>make
>sudo make install
---

I've attempted to install and I get the following errer early on...

---
mick at mick-desktop:~/build/myth/mythtv/libs/libmythtv/cell$ ./make_spu.sh
Making mythspu_yuv2rgb
spu-gcc: error trying to exec 'cc1plus': execvp: No such file or directory
Embedding elf executable
mythspu_yuv2rgb: File not found
Usage: embedspu [flags] symbol_name input_filename output_filename

        input_filename:  SPU ELF executable to be embedded
        output_filename: Resulting PowerPC object file
        symbol_name:     Name of program handle struct to be defined
        flags:           GCC flags defining PowerPC object file format
                         (e.g. -m32 or -m64)
Finished
---

I've looked up the cc1plus error, and it indicates that I don't have
either gcc or g++ installed correctly.. But from what I can gather I
do.  I've tried to run from the command line:

---
cell$ spu-elf-gcc -Wall -funroll-loops -finline -mbranch-hints -O3 -o
mythspu_yuv2rgb mythspu_yuv2rgb.c++
spu-elf-gcc: error trying to exec 'cc1plus': execvp: No such file or directory
mick at mick-desktop:~/build/myth/mythtv/libs/libmythtv/cell$
---

And, gcc and g++ are the same version (this was another error source I
saw on a list somewhere..
---
mick at mick-desktop:~/build/myth/mythtv/libs/libmythtv/cell$ spu-elf-gcc --version
spu-elf-gcc (GCC) 4.1.1

mick at mick-desktop:~/build/myth/mythtv/libs/libmythtv/cell$ g++ --version
g++ (GCC) 4.1.3 20070929 (prerelease) (Ubuntu 4.1.2-16ubuntu2)
---

So next I tried to install the "mythspu_yuv2rgb.o" file directly from
the one Mark compiled himself.
---
mick at mick-desktop:~/build/myth/mythtv/libs/libmythtv/cell$ embedspu
mythspu_yuv2rgb_handle mythspu_yuv2rgb mythspu_yuv2rgb.o
mythspu_yuv2rgb: File not found
Usage: embedspu [flags] symbol_name input_filename output_filename

        input_filename:  SPU ELF executable to be embedded
        output_filename: Resulting PowerPC object file
        symbol_name:     Name of program handle struct to be defined
        flags:           GCC flags defining PowerPC object file format
                         (e.g. -m32 or -m64)
mick at mick-desktop:~/build/myth/mythtv/libs/libmythtv/cell$
---

It looks like the command line options have rotated since this was
released??  I tried to swap them around and this is what I get..
---
mick at mick-desktop:~/build/myth/mythtv/libs/libmythtv/cell$ embedspu
mythspu_yuv2rgb_handle mythspu_yuv2rgb.o mythspu_yuv2rgb
mythspu_yuv2rgb.o: Does not appear to be an SPU executable
mick at mick-desktop:~/build/myth/mythtv/libs/libmythtv/cell$
---

Agh!  I'm lost..  Is anyone on this list running ubuntu gutsy on their
ps3 that can help me try to install this?

Mick