[mythtv-users] compile from source?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Tue Dec 11 16:23:27 UTC 2007

Greg wrote:
>         This was to be an experiment. Just wanted to try my hand at
> compiling mythtv from scratch... What i found was allot of library files
> are in different places than what the guide was telling me.. I installed
> Lame using yum,it went in the wrong place..  Then when i tried to
> compile myth i got an error saying Freetype  needed to be installed. It
> was installed, but not where the guide said it should be.. I am just
> trying to learn about this stuff...  So i will give your method a try
> and see what happens...

"It went in the wrong place" - 64-bit libraries go in different places to 32-bit
ones. What you may be looking at are the 32-bit libs (or vice versa). Make sure
you are targeting (or identifying) the correct libraries for your Myth build,
otherwise the build will complain that libraries don't exist when you think that
they do. Similarly, make sure you install the correct versions of things like
for example Lame.

Mike Perkins