[mythtv-users] Harddrive downgrade...

Andrew Close aclose at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 15:59:26 UTC 2007

hey all,

the KnoppMyth Wiki has instructions on how to do a harddrive upgrade
(http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=HardDriveUpgrade) that
look very straightforward.  i'm sure there are other sources of easy
instructions, but that was the first place i looked.

anyway, the instructions assume you are 'upgrading' to a harddrive of
equal or greater size.  i would like to downgrade my existing drive
(300GB, or is it 300GiB? :) to a 200GB drive that just contains all
partitions minus the /myth/tv partition.  i'd like to use the 300GB
drive exclusively for /myth/tv.  my understanding of the 'dd' command
is that it does a bit for bit copy, so if i have more bits on one
drive than can fit on the other i may run into problems.  is there a
quick and easy way to migrate everything to the 200GB drive and then
expand the /myth/tv partition on the 300GB drive to encompass the
whole drive?  or some similar solution?  i guess the key is quick,
since this is my production system and i don't have another box to
play with.

thanks for any and all suggestions.
oh, please feel free to tell me to RTFM as long as you provide a link. ;)

thanks!