[mythtv-users] Harddrive downgrade...

Andrew Close aclose at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 18:27:50 UTC 2007

On Dec 11, 2007 12:08 PM, Bill Omer <bill.omer at gmail.com> wrote:

> Keep the 300g drive with all the recordings in tact.
> Backup the database.
>
> mysqldump -u mythtv -pmythtv mythconverg -c > mythtv_backup.sql
>
> Backup the mythtv_backup.sql file, preferably somewhere remote.
>

> Install the 200g drive and install your distro of choice and mythtv.
> Setup mythtv just like a brand new installation.  Go through
> mythtv-setup, configure the cards, add your line ups etc...   Once you
> have mythtv at the point where you can watch tv and schedule
> recordings again, then restore the video files and the database.
>

> Restore the database:
> http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.7
>

> I've used this method with great success many times now.
>
> If the disk spaced used for recorded programs is small enough, then
> copy them over to the 200g drive temporarily and format the 300g drive
> with xfs or jfs if you haven't already.   Otherwise delete everything
> else off of the 300g drive and keep the file system as-is.
>
> Mount the 300g drive as /myth/tv, restore the files (if you moved and
> formated), restore the database, and you should be back to normal.
>
> IMHO, this will be the cleanest (and arguably the easiest) way to do it.

thanks Bill.  i appreciate the detail. :)  i'll give this a try and
re-document the steps.  i may have a spare 200GB that i can start out
with, and that would allow me to leave my current system intact so i
could do the upgrade over several days.

install spare drive as primary and do the install/config
stick old drive back in to make use of existing db rules, recordings,. etc.
clean 300 GB drive and format with XFS
copy recordings from original 200GB drive to 300GB drive
dump db to the network
reinstall spare drive as primary, restore db, mount 300GB drive as /myth/tv
primary drive will contain system, db, myth.  300GB will only be /myth/tv
and on the seventh day i can rest and enjoy my MythTv with more
recording space. :D

thanks again