[mythtv-users] DVI to A/V Receiver HDMI?

Andy Poling andy at realbig.com
Wed Dec 12 04:19:26 UTC 2007

I've been looking at the new crop of A/V receivers that are now on the market.
With features like up-conversion of S-video and component to HDMI, it looks
like I could finally stop switching inputs on both the receiver (audio) and
the TV (video) when I want to switch from my MythFE to some other source.

Here's the big question... I presently use a DVI-to-HDMI cable to connect my
nvidia 6800 (v1.0.9755 driver) running 1920x1080 to the TV (Sceptre X42).
Will I be able to use the GPU's DVI out with a receiver with HDMI inputs?

I tried using the composite output on the 6800, but even when running 1080i
output (confirmed by my set), I only got a narrowed 4:3-sized image in the
center of the 16:9 screen with pillars.  That's not what I was expecting at
all.

Is there a way for my MythFE to co-exist with other A/V sources and a modern
A/V receiver switching it all?

-Andy