[mythtv-users] Features of a home theater audio system

Dan Ritter dsr-myth at tao.merseine.nu
Wed Dec 12 15:20:05 UTC 2007

On Wed, Dec 12, 2007 at 10:15:52AM -0500, David Fishburn wrote:
> > For audio use a SPDIF bracket and connnect to you Digital out header on your
> > MB. then connect this to your sound reciever. In linux set up AC3
> > passthrough.
>
> For my Asus M2NPV-VM motherboard, you indicate: "use a SPDIF bracket"
>
> Is this something additional I need to purchase?

If you don't have one, then yes.

> Do I have to go through ASUS to get it?

Or one of their resellers. It's a cable that plugs into your
motherboard at one end and offers an RCA SP/DIF plug for the
outside.

> I was just leafing through the user manual on the mobo and it has the
> normal coloured output lines for line in, line out and mic.    It then
> says in 6 speaker configuration:
> Line In  -> Surround out
> Line Out -> Front Speaker out
> Mic -> Center / Bass
>
> Do I buy a special cable that takes these 3 separate lines and
> combines them into a coaxial output that my receiver is expecting?

No. If you have a receiver that has 5.1 channel discrete analog
inputs, you can plug them in with the usual minijack to RCA
cables.

-dsr-

--
Every time you give up a right, the terrorists win.
Tyranny is something that creeps up on you.

http://tao.merseine.nu:81/~dsr/eula.html is hereby incorporated by reference.