[mythtv-users] MythVideo: file name sorting oddity

Ryan Pisani mythtv at frouse3.homelinux.com
Wed Dec 12 20:28:20 UTC 2007

>  Sorry if this is a duplicate, I didn't see the original message post
> correctly to the list.
>
> If this has been asked and answered before I apologize - I went through
> the last year's archives and didn't see any relevant threads.
>
> Just to start, I'm using Mythbuntu 7.10 which means I'm not entirely
> sure what version of MythTV and all the plugins are being used, but if
> need be I can find that out for you.
>
> What I've noticed is that MythVideo organizes files in a very strange
> manner, namely lexicographically incorrect (I believe).  Shorter file
> names come after longer file names and higher numbers come before lower
> ones.  Conversely, the alphabetic ordering is correct (a-z, not z-a) so
> it suggests that the order is not merely reversed.
>
> This problem plays out particularly with series (trilogies for example)
> such as having:
>
> Spider-Man.avi
> Spider-Man_2.avi
> Spider-Man_3.avi
>
> These would show up in a directory listing as I've written, but in
> MythVideo they show up as:
>
> Spider-Man 3
> Spider-Man 2
> Spider-Man
>
> Which is completely un-intuitive to me.  Could someone explain this
> behavior and preferably how to fix it?
>
> Thank you,
> Brion

I too have noticed this oddity, but have never put much stock into.
However, I believe this has to do with the default sorting methods of
mysql.

mysql> select title from videometadata where filename like "%Back To The
Future%";
+-----------------------------+
| title                       |
| Back to the Future Part II  |
| Back to the Future Part III |
| Back to the Future          |
3 rows in set (0.01 sec)

I'm not sure why this is, as it definitely goes against the rules we've
all learned in sorting/alphabetizing. I'm not sure if this can be
configured somewhere, but it might be worth a look.

Ryan