[mythtv-users] Adding new windows pc's to Myth setup?

Mike Dent mcdent at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 20:42:21 UTC 2007

Hi,
currently I have a combined fe/be mythtv box downstairs next to the main TV.

At Christmas santa may bring 2 x new pc's with Vista on for 2 x children!

They have TV's in their rooms at present, the idea is that these will go and the
PC with capture card/USB digital tv adaptor will replace them.

I thought it would be neat if they could each run Myth and possibly
access stuff from the fe/be downstairs.

I'd like some advice on the best way to do this for the kids. I think
I have at least 3 options.

1) Install Linux partition alongside the Vista and have them boot in
to this for TV
2) Install Linux in virtual machine, VMware etc running on Vista as the host OS
3) Run the early version of the Mythfrontend for windows.
4) Forget Myth on these and just run whatever TV/capture program comes
with the tuners
5) Windows media centre?!

Apart from it being cool for them to run Myth, what advantage would
they have accessing the fe/be downstairs?

I'd welcome any ideas you have on a solution to this? :)

Thanks

Mike