[mythtv-users] myth-made DVD problem

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Dec 13 02:28:09 UTC 2007

mike wrote:
> I have googled till I'm blue, and can't find anything close to this problem.
> Please help if possible.
>
> In summary, I can't play a Myth-made DVD until I have first loaded and started
> up a commercial DVD, in this example, "Rush R-30".
> Once that DVD is loaded and playing in MythDVD, then I can eject it, and then
> put in one of my Myth-burned DVDs and it will load up and play fine.
> Mythmusic will play a music CD fine.
>
> My box is  a core-2 duo 2.4, with a Samsung SH-S162 DVD/CD burner/player.
> OS is Debian testing on kernel-2.6.22.9.
> I have been through the Myth settings and tried every combination I can think
> of. The DVD drive is /dev/scd0, and that is sym-linked to /dev/dvd.
>
> I'd appreciate any ideas, thanks.

The first thing I'd do is determine if the situation is specific to a
particular DVD drive. Have you tried more than one DVD drive?

What about playing an iso image?

How does a standalone DVD player program work? Is this problem specific
to playing through Myth?

You say that playing a "commercial" DVD fixes the problem. Is is really
the fact that the disk is "commercial" or perhaps whether it uses CSS
(not usual for a DVD-R, but it can be done) or region encoding?

If you could figure out how to engender this behavior intentionally the
MPAA might be interested :-)

beww