[mythtv-users] Unable to Initialize Video - ATI X800

scott at tbwifi.ca scott at tbwifi.ca
Thu Dec 13 15:45:10 UTC 2007

> Nick Morrott wrote:
>> On 13/12/2007, Scott Souter <scott at tbwifi.ca> wrote:
>>>
>>> [scott at localhost database]$ mythfrontend
>>> 2007-12-12 22:57:30.662 Opening OSS audio device '/dev/dsp'.
>>> 2007-12-12 22:57:30.662 AudioOutput Error: WARNING: something is
>>> currently
>>> using: /dev/dsp, retrying.
>>> 2007-12-12 22:57:30.662 NVP: Disabling Audio, reason is: WARNING:
>>> something is
>>> currently using: /dev/dsp, retrying.
>>
>>> 2007-12-12 22:57:30.664 VideoOutput, Error: Not compiled with any
>>> useable
>>> video output method.
>>> 2007-12-12 22:57:30.664 Unable to initialize video.
>>> 2007-12-12 22:57:49.726 TV Error: StartPlayer(): NVP is not playing
>>> after
>>> 20000 msec
>>> 2007-12-12 23:05:41.126 TV Error: LiveTV not successfully started
>>
>> As your logs are telling you, you appear to have neither i)
>> accelerated Xv video support installed for your video driver nor ii)
>> Xv support compiled into your installation of MythTV. Fix this, and
>> you should be sorted. Not sure if the open source radeon driver
>> supports your card.
>>
>> The fglrx driver should provide Xv support though, so check to make
>> sure it is installed correctly@
>>
>> # xvinfo
>>
>> You also appear to have a problem with your audio device, but get the
>> video output problem fixed first.
>>
> You may do better on the audio side if you set you system up as ALSA
> rather than
> OSS. My setup is Mandriva 2007.1 and I have a lower spec ATI PCIe card
> (RV370),
> but my system works with ALSA. Also, I'm using the 'ati' driver version
> 6.6.3.
> Looking at my Xorg.0.log, it seems this driver might handle your card as
> well. I
> tried the fglrx driver and got nowhere with it.

I am fairly sure that I have the fglrx driver installed okay.  I am
attaching a copy of the pertinent section of my xorg.conf for review.  I
am also curious what I need to enable in the configure step.  By looking
at ./configure –help it would appear that most options are there to be
disabled only.  There are only a few that are related to video that I can
enable.  Can someone suggest what I should compile with?  Also I am aware
that Alsa is the best option for audio on my box.  Can someone suggest how
to get that set up properly for Myth?  Is it done at the configure phase
as well?  mythtv-setup?  fronend setup?

Thx
Scott

--disable-x11            disable X11 support
--x11-path=X11LOC        location of X11 include files
[/usr/X11R6/include-path]
--disable-xrandr         disable X11 resolution switching
--disable-xv             disable XVideo   (X11 video output accel.)
--disable-xvmc           disable XvMC     (Linux/BSD MPEG accel.)
--disable-xvmcw          disable XvMC Wrapper, use --xvmc-lib if
autodetection fails
--enable-xvmc-pro        enable XvMC for the unichrome pro (NOT unichrome)
chipset
--enable-xvmc-opengl     enable nVidia XvMC OpenGL texture method
--xvmc-lib=LIB           XvMC library override (for crosscompiling)
--enable-opengl-video    enable opengl based video display
--enable-mac-accel       enable Mac OS X MPEG acceleration
--enable-opengl-vsync    enable OpenGL vsync method
--disable-directfb       disable DirectFB (Linux non-X11 video)
--enable-directx         enable DirectX   (Microsoft video)