[mythtv-users] OpenGL or Xv - ./confgure Troubles

scott at tbwifi.ca scott at tbwifi.ca
Fri Dec 14 16:41:50 UTC 2007

> On 14/12/2007, scott at tbwifi.ca <scott at tbwifi.ca> wrote:
>
>> for reference.  As a green linux user, most of this is pretty foreign.
>> What is my best option to select for making my system work with Myth
>> OpenGL or Xv?  I would also like some input on how to ensure that
>> configure script for Myth enables either Xv or OpenGL.  As most of the
>> command for ./configure are to disable features I am a little lost as to
>> what I need to do to ensure one of them says yes beside it.
>
> You likely don't have the required development libraries installed to
> provide these features. There is some information on installing MythTV
> on the wiki for Mandriva
> (http://mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Operating_system#Mandriva) which
> might help. It's also worth reading the 'Upgrading xxx distro to SVN'
> articles on the wiki, as these will indicate which libraries are
> required to compile MythTV frrom SVN.
>
> If you're a very green user, you'll probably be up and running much
> quicker if you use a dedicated MythTV distro such as KnoppMyth or
> MythDora.

Okay so maybe I'm not quite that green.  This is my third Myth box as I
have produced successful installations on older hardware using Mandrake
10.2 and Mandriva 2007.  I'm been muddling through learning Linux
primarily through my trials with Mythtv and now I'm sold as a full blown
KDE user for almost all of my home computing needs.  I use VMware Server
when I need to run Winblows.  Anyhow back to the issue...

It is my understanding that I must have either Xv or OpenGL enabled in the
configure script to get video out on my CRT.  To date I've got many errors
for unable to open video and others have suggested the rather obvious that
I didn't have things installed and configured properly.

Can someone tell me what is the best option for Myth (Xv or OpenGL) and
how to get the configure script to recognize one of these?

Thx!
I'm close after many months of grief.  Note to self - Stay away from ATI!
SFS