[mythtv-users] Should I upgrade from my Nvidia 6200?

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Fri Dec 14 16:57:39 UTC 2007

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics <steve at priorityelectronics.com> says:
> It's made by msi, here is the link:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814127273
>
> Great deal at $29.99 and then there is a $10.00 mail in rebate, so
> final price of $19.99.

Amazing how cheap video cards have become.

I am perfectly happy with the DVI 1080p output (using Bob on 0.20.2)
from my Nvidia 6200TC. and don't need component output. However, the
$20-after-rebate price of the above card has me thinking. Are there
any reasons why I'd want to upgrade to this 7300LE, or another newer
Nvidia card, given my setup? The situations I have in mind are the
following:

* I upgrade to a display with, among other benefits, 120Hz refresh
  versus my current panel's 60Hz. I can see how the fact that 24, 30,
  and 60 all factor into 120 might really help further improve
  smoothness
  (<URL:http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-entertainment/120hz-hdtvs-the-secret-to-making-movies-look-as-smooth-as-butter-231872.php>).
  What's not clear to me is a) whether my 6200TC could handle a 120Hz
  refresh at 1920x1080 and b) whether the 7300LE or another card
  could.
* I upgrade to either SVN or 0.21 with its GreedyH and Yadif filters,
  both said to be better than Bob
  (<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/304835#304835>).
  Would a newer card further improve the display?
* I upgrade to either SVN or 0.21 with its OpenGL video
  renderer. Would a newer card further improve the display?  Neither
  <URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/293352#293352>
  <URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/277331#277331>
  definitively answered my question, unfortunately.

Also, my 6200TC is passively cooled, so no fan noise. Is the
$20-after-rebate card Steve links to passively cooled?

--
Frontend/backend:	P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array
Slave backend:		Quad-core Xeon 1.6GHz, 6.6TB sw RAID 6