[mythtv-users] MPEG stream buffers full?

Chris Isip cmisipster at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 00:20:44 UTC 2007

On Jul 3, 2007 7:56 AM, David George <david at thegeorges.us> wrote:

> On 07/03/2007 08:30 AM, Daniel Arfsten wrote:
> > I happen to check out /var/log/messages for something totally unrelated
> > Mythtv and this is what I found.
> >
> > Jun 30 18:11:50 UBUNTU kernel: [178461.428600] ivtv0: All encoder MPEG
> > stream buffers are full. Dropping data.
> > Jun 30 18:11:50 UBUNTU kernel: [178461.428606] ivtv0: Cause: the
> application
> > is not reading fast enough.
> >
> > Can anyone comment regarding this? It's weird because there was nothing
> in
> > the backend logs that shows this, the only thing that's close to that
> date
> > and time is the mythfilldatabase and it said it was successful. Any
> comments
> > would be appreciated. I know you're probably asking yourself, why does
> he
> > care if it didn't affect anything. Well I want to solve this before it
> does
> > affect something. Thank you.
> >

> Actually what we are really asking ourselves is did he search Google
> first?
>

> http://www.google.com/search?q=all+encoder+mpeg+stream+buffers+are+full&btnG=Search
>
> Here is one of the pages returned that may help:
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/ivtv/users/35805
>
> --
> David

I followed the knoppmyth tutorial on increasing buffers for ivtv and that
eliminated 90 percent of the "ivtv dropping" messages.  Switching to xfs did
not help. I examined my logs today and noticed that the remaining errors
seem to happen consistently at 12:06 AM.  I have optimize_mythdb.sh running
at 12:05 AM daily and it takes 3 minutes to complete and I think this is the
cause of the remaining ivtv errors.  I will reschedule optimize_mythdb.sh
and see if it will get rid of the ivtv error messages.  I am hoping to get
my mythtv system 100% free of these ivtv error messages.

Chris