[mythtv-users] Playback issues with myth frontend over a wireless network

Charles H. Chapman ccmail at bellsouth.net
Sat Dec 15 20:19:11 UTC 2007

Charles H. Chapman wrote:
> Brion Swanson wrote:

 > Wireless g has a transfer rate maximum of 54 megaBITS per
 > second.  If you convert that into megaBYTES per second you
 > get 6.75 (8 bits per byte).  Therefore the maximum transfer
 > rate you can possibly get with wireless g (not including
 > technologies such as Linksys SpeedBoost which combines
 > multiple wireless g channels to get faster rates) is
 > 6.75 MB/s.  If you're getting 20 MB/s transfer rate over
 > wireless, then you're using something other than a single
 > wireless g connection (wireless n or SpeedBoost).

No, of course not.  Almost no one refers to the data rate on a serial
link in terms of bytes/sec rather than bits/sec.  I assumed you were
referring to bits/sec, despite using the proper abbreviation.

At any rate, instead of underestimating the speed of wireless G, you're
overestimating what speed it takes to do HD.  Two examples:

  - Recorded a 1 hour show OTA from CBS in full 1080i.  It required 6.8
GB of storage for a data rate of 1.88 MB/sec.

  - Recorded a 2 hour show OTA from ABC in 720p.  It required 11 GB of
storage for a data rate of 1.5 MB/sec.

I use an HDHomerun for recording shows off the air.  I can record two HD
shows from the HDHomerun and stream an HD show wirelessly to the
frontend (sometimes the same show as one of the ones being recorded).
All that traffic simultaneously in and out the 10/100Mb NIC card in my PC.

Chuck