[mythtv-users] Trouble getting channel icons.

Marc Chamberlin marc at marcchamberlin.com
Mon Dec 17 19:16:34 UTC 2007

Dave wrote:
> Mythtv is very simple, there's only tow reasons this can be happening.
> Either:
>
> 1. you don't have the icon locations populated in your database
> 2. the icon locations are unreadable (permissions) or corrupted images
> 3. the theme you are using isn't configured to display icons (or you've
> not toggled the "display icons" in the setup pages)
>
> For #1 , #2 check which channels have the 'icon' column populated by
> running the command
>
>   mysql -e "select name,chanid,icon from channel where icon != ''"
> mythconverg
>
> That should give you a table something like so:
>
> name    chanid  icon
> MNetE   1610    /home/mythtv/.mythtv/channels/mnet.jpg
> MM1     1630    /home/mythtv/.mythtv/channels/mnet_movies1.jpg
> SS1     1640    /home/mythtv/.mythtv/channels/supersport1.jpg
>
> then for each channel, check whether or not the icons are readable and
> not corrupt.
>
> If all that is correct, ensure for #3 that you toggle the right option
> in the setup menus.
>
> If you get no output from the mysql command, then your icons are not
> populated and you need to write a small script to do this. Just type in
> 'lyngsat dstv' (for example for DSTV africa) into google and then click
> on the icon and you will get all the channle icons for them, then write
> a script to automatically 'wget' all of them and map then to your channels.
>
> Sorry if i missed earlier thread on how far you've got with this but i
> only seen your query today. Hope this helps you further the diagnosis
> why it's not working for you.
>
> Dave
>
> Marc Chamberlin marc at marcchamberlin.com:
>  > Thanks Michael for your help, but I am still not getting the icons for
>  > the various TV stations! :-(  I used the master_iconmap.xml file that
>  > the link you gave supplied me with, reset the database as described in
>  > the bug report and that didn't give me the icons. So I decided to do the
>  > update as well and still no joy. Both scripts seem to run fine without
>  > any error reports. Ideas?
>  >
>  >         Marc...

Thanks Dave, I think you have given me enough info to get over the hump
and get the icons working. Apparently the master_iconmap.xml file does
not have the info necessary to set up the icon logos for the TV stations
in my area. (to be honest it did find one, but it was for a station that
I cannot watch off the air so I never looked at it...but when I saw it
in the mysql channel table, that told me that things are working
properly, just not filled in.) I found and downloaded the rest of them
from lyngsat and I will now dig into mysql (I hate database languages!
sigh) and see if I can get it populated with the paths to the icons for
each of the TV stations... And you are probably right, I will set this
up in a script so it can be rerun if necessary in the future...

   Marc..