[mythtv-users] WOL Slave Backend only when needed

Ma Begaj derliebegott at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 10:05:16 UTC 2007

2007/12/18, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us>:

> On Dec 17, 2007, at 7:36 PM, Mitch Gore wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have configured a slave backend that I use as a frontend & SD tuner and to
> run commercial flagging.  In order to save power I am trying to configure
> wol.  I have got the wol part working.  I can type wol MAC and it boot the
> computer.
>
> My goal is to have some intelligence on when the slave should be on.
>
> I want the backend to power on the slave when:
> 1.  when there are commercial flagging jobs.  I want the slave to do all
> flagging.  When my combined FE/BE is flagging i get pre-buffers when
> watching HD so i would prefer it not to ever do it.

Nice idea, I like it.

Make your own script (bash or perl) which runs mythcommflagging. It
could work like this:
1. check whether slave is online (with ping or something else)
2. if not, run WOL command to wake slave and wait 1-2 minutes to finish booting
3. run mythcommflag  (for the slave)

> 2.  If there is a schedule conflict that can be resolved with the SD tuner
> power on the slave.
You can run mythbackend on the shell with some flags (run "mythbackend
--help" to see all) to see the list of all schedules. I am not sure,
but conflicts might be displayed there.
I don't think that MythTV have support for showing conflicts. But you
can still see in mythweb's code how to find out are there any
conflicts.

> 3.  optional I want to watch a recording that is stored on the slave.  ( i
> can work around this by storing on a NFS on the backend)

I think, that this is clearly more complicated than other things from
above because MythTV does not know where your recording is saved.
Mythfrontend checks every recording group until it finds recording. If
one of the these folders is actually the mount point for a  NFS/SMB
drive from the slave, MythTv does not know that at that moment. It
just sees that the folder is empty.

The simplest solution would be to use of the button on your remote
control to run WOL to wake up the slave. Slave could mount itself on
the master with ssh right after boot process.

> Then when it does done power off.
>
> Is this possible?  How would i got about configuring this in myth?

M.