[mythtv-users] Anyone else? - Reproducible frontend crash playing HD MPEG2

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Tue Dec 18 17:07:32 UTC 2007

Tom Dexter wrote:
> On Dec 18, 2007 9:45 AM, Mike LaPlante <mike at dividia.net> wrote:
>
>> Rich's news is disturbing, I plan to go OTA soon and a I was hoping
>> these things were firewire related. Anyways, the one time I had it
>> segfault was months ago and upgraded SVN trunk several times since then.
>> Its possible some update made the frontend handle these better.
>>
>> Mike
>>

> I wouldn't worry about it.  I get those errors as well but only if
> something causes pretty abnormal interference with my OTA reception.
> That results in corrupted MPEG2 data.  In rare cases it's been bad
> enough to crash the frontend.  It's from corrupted MPEG2 data however,
> not anything specific to OTA.

Correct.. it's representative of corruption within the mpeg file.  And I
agree, I wouldn't worry about it.  I *believe* OTA is more susceptible
to corruption since it relies of signal strength, can be impacted by
weather, physical obstacles, and general stability of the placement of
the antenna.  However, when you get the antenna in the right place, the
picture quality is far superior.

After thinking about it, I have had a crash or two (probably no more
than that) which was due to a heavily corrupted HD recording (I have
since fixed the placement of the antenna).  Other than that, if mythtv
decides it can't play it, it has hung on me for 30+ seconds then brought
me back to the recordings menu.

-Rich