[mythtv-users] OpenGL or Xv - ./confgure Troubles

Scott Souter scott at tbwifi.ca
Wed Dec 19 22:11:31 UTC 2007

The packages you will need will all have '-devel' as part of the name. And
yes,
it's not intuitive. I used a bit of guesswork the first time I did it.

One way is the bloody-minded iterative method. You force to 'yes' all the
options you want in .configure, then try a make. It's going to fail when it
tries to link in a library that's missing. That tells you one that it needs.
In
another window, you have 'drakconf' running. Use that to add the missing
library. Rinse and repeat.

Incidentally there's another library gotcha I mentioned on this list a while
back. The Mandriva library management is not perfect (!), particularly if
you
are building 64-bit. Do a find on Myth and LibMyth and note which
directories
the files are in. Make sure that /etc/ld.so.conf has all the library
directories
in it and re-run ldconfig after you change anything. Mine looks like:

include ld.so.conf.d/*.conf
/lib
/lib64
/usr/lib
/usr/lib64
/usr/X11R6/lib
/usr/lib/qt3/lib64
/usr/lib/qt3/lib

(I install my Myth into /usr, which is non-standard. If you are using
/usr/local, you may need to add extra lines to those above.)

Mike,

Merry Christmas my friend!  Does it make you feel good when you are able
to help someone out of a bind?  Well, you have been absolutely critical in
my work with Myth on my 64 bit Mandriva box using both the 2007 and 2008
distros.  THANK YOU!!!  It's really too bad that I don't learn to read a
little better.  I must not have modified my ld.so.conf file completely
when I compiled from SVN on the 2008 distro.  I struggled to find the old
post from you at that time and I think I used someone else’s approach and
perhaps I only made the minimum changes required to let the compile
proceed.  Here is your post that gave me a big boost when I was trying to
compile using SVN on 2007 with the 2.6.17 kernel.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/284248?#284248

I used your /etc/ld.so.conf file format and also used the SVN approach to
install into /usr as you have.  My limitation at that time seemed to be
the IVTV version, because I couldn’t capture and view outside of Myth, but
I am now thinking the bulk of my problems were associated with my ATI X800
card and the lack of the proprietary driver for it.  Once I have now moved
on to the 2008 distro and the built in version of IVTV I had no issues
with capture and view outside of Myth.  I had to add the proprietary
driver for the ATI Radeon X800 card and when X locks up on boot, one needs
to use to boot into safe mode and type: aticonfig -initial –f to force a
basic setup that allows booting into X.  After that type aticonfig – -
help to get a list of other options that must be setup.  The key for me
was to use aticonfig –ovt=Xv after that combined with the /etc/ld.so.conf
adjustments, I was able to run ./config and have everything magically
appear with yes in the Video Output Support section.

Screen-Related Options:
   --ovt, --overlay-type=STRING
         Change the overlay for the X server.  STRING can be one of:
             opengl
             Xv
             disable

After almost a full year with this “new” 64 bit hardware, I have my Myth
system working with the basics.  My next move is to add a second PVR-350,
an IR Blaster, and Powermid remote extenders to enable my regular desktop
/ Myth box (in my office) to change channels and record from two Expressvu
(basically DirectTV hardware) Satellite boxes in separate rooms.  I have
purchased a Hauppauge Media MVP to use as a basic Frontend at one of my TV
locations.  If it works well I’ll add a second at the other TV location.

I will be updating all of my unsolved postings on various sites to help
out the next person that embarks down the same path.  The saddest thing is
that this Mandriva Mythtv install is a very easy and short process once
one is aware of the correct steps.

Scott

Is there any particular reason you are using/adding PVR-350's? You would be
much
better off getting -150's, particularly as you don't seem to be using the
output
side of the -350. -150's would be cheaper, and I think the firmware is a bit
more robust. Unless, of course, you already have the -350's.

- Scott sent this to me directly. I suspect he meant it to go to the group,
so I
am forwarding it.

Mike Perkins

Hi Mike,

My first Myth box is running with a PVR-350 and I purchased a second one to
get this new box up.  Once my dream system is all working okay I'll be
decommisioning my original box and using the 350 from it to add a second
card to my new system.  I know it's overkill, but so be it.

Scott