[mythtv-users] Horrible Audio Problems on Video Glitch

Bryan Murphy bryan.murphy at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 02:35:31 UTC 2007

Hey guys, I just recently traded in my Hauppage PVR-350 for a pcHDTV
5500.  I live in the Chicago Metro area, so my reception ranges from
good to pretty lousy, but in general I get a passable signal on every
channel but our local CBS affiliate (channel 2).

The problem is, whenever there's a glitch in the video stream, I get
VERY VERY LOUD popping and screeching noises.   Now, I can handle
audio and video glitches, but these noises are simply out of control.
They are irritating, they hurt my ears, they annoy other people
watching the TV, they startle the dogs, and I'm afraid they might even
damage my audio system.

I've tried a bunch of things, and I simply don't know what to do at
this point.  My computer is certainly capable of handling the audio
and video stream.  I use mpstat/dstat/iostat to monitor my load level,
and I'm using maybe 40% of my CPU and reading and writing about 6 to 8
megabytes per second to/from the disk drive.

Given that I live in the middle of the city, on the first floor, and
am surrounded by tall buildings, I have little hope of enhancing my
signal to the point where this isn't a problem.  As I said earlier, I
can deal with the glitches, but I really really wish the audio dropped
out instead of screeching.

Can anybody please help me?  I'm at my wit's end over this.

Thanks,
Bryan