[mythtv-users] Slight Pauses in Playback/Live TV

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 15:27:47 UTC 2007

On 20/12/2007, Joe Ripley <vitaminjoe at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 20, 2007 4:10 AM, Tim Sawyer <mythtv at calidris.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > My main problem is one of slight pauses when watching live TV or playing back
> > recorded programmes.  I hardly noticed it myself, my other half pointed it
> > out.  It's particularly noticeable when there is scrolling text, like you
> > sometimes get at the bottom of the screen on the shopping channels.  It seems
> > to that some frames are being dropped and there's a slight pause in the
> > movement of the text.  Our commercial PVR is definitely smoother.

I don't know much about this but I see similar effects and, from what
I've been reading, it may have something to do with 50Hz vs 60Hz
refresh rates on the video output which particularly affects us in the
UK.  Does that Jetway have component output, or are you using S-Video?
 Are you using a digital or analog TV?  What graphics driver are you
using.

I'm using an nvidia card and SVideo to an analog CRT television.  I've
done a lot of fiddling with modelines and V-Sync settings without
making things much better.  I'm starting to believe that silky-smooth
scrolling may not be possible for me.

It appears there might be improvements available in revent SVN (making
more use of OpenGL) but I think these need more recent nvidia cards
than I have.

Not sure I've been any help, but at least you know you're not alone.