[mythtv-users] [OT, again] digital TV antennae (was Re: OT: Digital signal bands - Was: Horrible Audio Problems on Video Glitch)

Bryan Murphy bryan.murphy at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 19:16:28 UTC 2007

On Dec 20, 2007 12:53 PM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> My guess is the reason that the OP has a UHF-only antenna is because it
> said, "digital TV antenna."  I'd also guess that if Mitch wasn't just
> oversimplifying his statement, he too was confused by the industry's use
> of the term "digital TV antenna".  So, Bryan, if you ended up with a
> "digital" antenna (UHF only) because that's what the salesman said you
> needed, I'd take it back to the store and complain that it's
> mis-marked/broken/non-functional in your area because of WBBM's
> broadcasting their digital signal on frequency 3 in the VHF spectrum.
> There's no reason you should have to pay for that antenna if you were
> told it would work since it won't work for your needs.  Even if you made
> your decision based on the product markings on the box, I'd argue that
> it's mis-marked/makes invalid claims/...
>
> Good luck getting a new antenna without having to pay for the industry's
> deception.
>
> Mike

Ah yes, that certainly makes sense.  I was not aware there was such a
difference until the last two days when I really started to dig into
this.  Alas, I bought the antenna almost two years ago so there's
little hope of returning it now.  I got it as a packaged deal with
that old ATI HD card that ended up being a piece of junk.  I should've
just bought the pcHDTV 3000 in the first place. :)

Bryan