[mythtv-users] OT - VGA -> USB - NOT - USB -> VGA

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Dec 20 19:31:23 UTC 2007

On 12/20/2007 11:24 AM, Trey Thompson wrote:
> I've been having a very hard time finding such a beast.  Then I
> figured, hey, who better than the video experts with Myth!!!  :)
>
> I'm looking for an adapter that will take VGA and convert it to USB,
> or something similar, for video display.  Why would I do something so
> crazy?
>
> I own an IT company, and it would be REALLY nice for a technician to
> be able to plug in this "Mythcable", and see the screen output from a
> server, right on their laptop.  Instead, now we have to find an unused
> monitor in the office, haul it around, etc...
>
> Anyone know of such an animal?

Don't know if anyone makes a product like you want, but there's a
company called DisplayLink ( http://www.displaylink.com/ ) that makes
chips that will do this type of conversion (complete with all required
compression--basically VNC on a chip).  Whether they have an application
to show the remote display on a laptop screen is a whole other
question.  I mainly see "external video cards," which would be what
you're calling USB -> VGA.  TTBOMK, a VGA -> USB solution would require
some application to then go from USB -> window on an OS (similar to a
VNC client window)--otherwise your laptop would simply be a very
expensive monitor/keyboard.

The big problem will probably be drivers/software unless you're using
Windows (though Mac OS X is supposed to be supported in 2008).  If
nothing else, maybe you can convince them or some 3rd party of the
benefit/marketability of such a solution.

Mike