[mythtv-users] NVidia Geforce 5200 and component output

Brion Swanson brions at usalug.net
Fri Dec 21 12:04:12 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-12-21 at 09:58 +0000, David Watkins wrote:
> On 21/12/2007, Terry Hull <tah at nrg-inc.com> wrote:
> >

> > I have a 5200 and do not have the manual for it.  How can I tell if it has
> > component output, and is there a company that sells the breakout cable for
> > the NVidia cards?
> >

> Well the connectors on the back of the card would be a clue.
>
> Does it have three phono type sockets, ie the separate RGB video components?
>
> Otherwise if it has a DVI connector then I think you can get DVI to
> component adaptors.
>
> Maybe the nvidia-settings programme would give a clue as to what's on the card.

Most video cards do not have the 3 component video plugs, instead they
have something that looks like an SVideo plug except it has six pins and
what plugs into that is a dongle of some sort (either a breakout into 4
cables - 3 component and 1 SVideo or a block with 3 component, 1 SVideo,
and 1 composite).  In any case, you'll likely need the dongle that came
with the card as dongles for other cards are not necessarily
interchangeable.

If you don't have a dongle or the port only has 4 pins, then you just
have SVideo out.

You can still buy DVI->Component adapters but it would be best if you
can find the original dongle (if the card had one).

Brion