[mythtv-users] MSNTV2 box? (was software encoding to MPEG2)

Ramon Redondo malinon at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 15:40:43 UTC 2007

On 9/25/07, Chris Pinkham <cpinkham at bc2va.org> wrote:
> If you google for "msntv2 linux" then you'll find lots of info on running
> Linux on these boxes.
>
> With a little help from other msntv2 users I was able to get it up and
> running using a Fedora 5 based nfsroot image.  All my frontends are diskless
> using this image now.  Each has its own private copy of /etc and /tmp, but
> share the base FC5 install.  The P3-733 CPUs in the msntv2 boxes are
> equivalent to my other frontends and the diskless, fanless, lightless
> box is nice for places like the bedroom.

I managed to win one of these off Ebay a while back, and verified that
audio, video, and networking were all 'good' on the system.  But I
didn't have time to get linux up and going on it.
I'm going to start playing with it this week while I have time off from work.

Does anyone have any specific pointers for good resources on this
beyond what shows up in a google search?  Any favorite mailing lists
or websites?
When this thread was active it looked like Greg Estabrooks was close
to releasing something to allow resolutions beyond 640x480.

I just thought I'd ping the list before I start putting stuff together.