[mythtv-users] Why can't MythTV just keep recording?

Joel Michael joel at gimps-r-us.com
Sun Dec 23 02:07:55 UTC 2007

Glen Hawksworth wrote:
> In Australia the TV networks are notorious for running over time with
> their broadcasts. As such I have my recording profile set to over record
> by 3mins.
> I was going through the EPG and tagging the programs I wanted recorded
> and I noticed that I got conflicts when the shows followed one another.
> Fair enough I have set it to over record by 3mins but why does it cause
> a conflict when the recording is for the same channel? Why can it not
> just keep recording? is there a setting I have to change? (I already
> know that I can manually change these conlicted timeings to fix it :-P
> but I'd rather it did it on its own)
>
> Any tips to avoiding this issue? I am already planning on getting a
> second tuner but it would seem that this type of issue could cause
> conflicts even with two tuners.

There is a setting somewhere in the frontend (I forget exactly where off
the top of my head, someone else might know) that tells the backend to
always record x seconds past the start or end of a show.  The great
thing about this setting is that it doesn't alter the actual scheduling
of recordings, it just does it if it can, and doesn't if there's a
recording scheduled immediately after.  I have set this to 60 seconds (1
minute) before (and never needed it), and 600 seconds (10 minutes) after
(and STILL sometimes have shows cut off at the end, usually after
anything involving Eddie Mcguire or any "reality TV" show...)