[mythtv-users] Static IP vs. DHCP

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Wed Dec 26 20:10:56 UTC 2007

On Dec 26, 2007, at 10:38 AM, Brian Wood wrote:
> If you are using "private" (RFC 1918) addresses, and want to use names
> and not numerical addresses, you have to use either a "private" DNS
> server, /etc/hosts files or even NIS (sometimes called YP or "yellow
> pages".

For RFC 1918 networks, I like to use a program called 'dnsmasq' for
this.  It combines a DHCP server, local DNS server, and DNS caching
server all in one daemon.  It's pretty easy to configure -- it can
take its address and MAC information directly from /etc/hosts and /etc/
ethers.  It does some other nifty stuff, like filter RFC 1918 reverse
address queries it can't respond to instead of trying to look them up
on the Internet.