[mythtv-users] Slow recordings list in high resolution

Thomas Börkel thomas at boerkel.de
Thu Dec 27 08:00:46 UTC 2007

HI!

I know there were many posts on this list about slow scrolling in the
recordings list and I guess I read all of them during the past days. ;-)
But my problem is still not fixed:

I have a machine which can boot from disk with Fedora and also from
network (PXE) with Gentoo (this is the new, should-be preferred system,
because I want to remove the disk).

So, the hardware (Celeron 2.6, GeForce 7600 GS AGP) is exactly the same.

The menus are snappy with Gentoo, but scrolling (actually not only real
scrolling, but also just moving from one entry to another) through the
recordings is slow (1-2 seconds per entry).

I am not using thumbnail preview or live preview. It happens with or
without NFS mount to the recordings.

Everything else is fast, including playing recordings.

This happens with the OpenGL painter and the QT painter.

I have looked at the network traffic (because I thought PXE is the
problem) with iptraf while scrolling and there is very little.

Hopping as fast as possible through the recordings results in 100% CPU
on Gentoo and 50-70% CPU on Fedora, while only on Fedora it is fast.

My resolution is 1920x1080. When I change to 800x600, scrolling is fast
on Gentoo also, but still 100% CPU while moving. So it should not be
network or database or permissions or NFS related.

The xorg.conf is the same. The real difference between the 2 cases is
the distribution and the age of the software. This is Fedora Core 5,
kernel 2.6.20, older NVidia driver vs. Gentoo, kernel 2.6.23, newer
NVidia driver (although I have already gone back a few versions because
of XV crashes with the newest 100.* drivers).

nvidia-settings is also the same.

I have tried a generic Gentoo kernel and a "handmade" one.

glxgears yields 4060fps on Fedora, 4420fps on Gentoo, both using 100%
CPU while doing this (switched off VBlank sync for this test).

mythmusic's Goom effect fullscreen is equally fast in both cases.

It seems to me as if something is wrong with 2D acceleration, but then
again the OpenGL painter is also slow.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Thomas