[mythtv-users] Cannot get listings for ATSC card

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Dec 27 17:30:56 UTC 2007

On 12/26/2007 05:26 PM, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> On Dec 26, 2007 3:57 PM, Chris K <ckotting at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>> I ended up resolving this with some help from John Drescher, so I'm
>> posting how I got it set up, for anyone else who may run into this in
>> the future.
>>
>> The situation:  Adding a QAM/ATSC card to an existing set-up.  Here is
>> how I (finally) successfully proceeded.  (This is just a sketch of the
>> process, refer to the MythTV Wiki for more details.)
>>
>> 1.    Shut machine down, install card, reboot.
>> 2.    After reboot, do "# tail /var/log/messages" to make sure that card
>> was picked up.
>> 3.    Exit frontend (if you're set up to automatically launch it on
>> reboot).
>> 4.    Set up listing for new digital channels on SchedulesDirect.  Edit
>> is needed to cover the channels you actually get, and keep that page
>> open.  You'll need it later.
>> 5.    # service mythbackend stop
>> 6.    mythtvsetup
>>    Go through the process for setting up the new card
>>    Set up the new listing as a Video Source
>>    Attach the Video Source to the card input, BUT don't bother running
>> "Fetch Channels from
>>    Listings Source".  It won't work.  Instead, run "Scan for Channels"
>> 7.   Finish mythtvsetup, but don't run mythfilldatabase yet.
>> 8.   # service mythbackend start
>> 9.   In a new browser window (or tab) open up MythWeb.  Go to Setup,
>> MythTV Channel Info.
>>       You'll find that the new channels you just scanned for have no
>> XMLTV ID.  For each channel
>>        missing the XMLTV ID, go to the window/tab showing the SD lineup
>> editor.  If you hover your
>>        cursor over the channel there, you'll get a small window with
>> the channel name and XMLTV ID
>>       (a 5 digit number).  Now go back to the MythWeb page and fill in
>> that number.  Repeat as needed.
>> 10.   Now run mythfilldatabase, and all should work.
> And just for completeness, this has been documented in the wiki for some
> time
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Frontend_Channel_Editor

Which also says that--for some, at least--using "Fetch channels from
listings source" _after_ "Scan for channels" may fill in the xmltvid's
for the channels that were picked up from the scan.  However, this is
completely dependent on what information the local broadcaster inserts
into the streams in the channels found by the scan.

Mike