[mythtv-users] ATI Radeon X1600 + Fedora 8 (slightly OT)

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Thu Dec 27 21:19:18 UTC 2007

Everyone,

I know that this is off-topic a bit, but I was hoping that someone has
seen this problem before.  I have another PC in my house that I just
upgraded from FC6 x86_64 to Fedora 8 x86_64, and now my X won't start.
I keep getting messages saying "ID "X" respawning too fast; disabled for
5 minutes".  When I look at the Xorg.0.log file, I do see an error
(stated by (EE)) that says "atiddxDriScreenInit failed; GPS not been
initialized".  I've been Google'ing about this, and most of the answers
that I find say to use the Livna drivers, but when I try to put them on,
they complain about conflicts on other fglrx packages.  Even after I do
a yum remove <package> and reboot.  The packages aren't really removed
so I can't move forward to install the drivers.

I emailed ATI about this, and they sent back a reply that said their
drivers are provided "as-is" (bastards!).  I realize that ATI cards and
Linux don't play well together, but that's whats in that box.  Its a
dual-monitor card, and I was hoping that one I got Fedora 8 on it, I
could get mythfrontend working on it.  Possibly on only one of the 2
monitors.

Let me know if you need any other information, and thanks alot for any
help on this "off-topic" post.

Thanks,
Harry