[mythtv-users] Progress

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Dec 28 21:31:09 UTC 2007

Steve Cooke wrote:
>> I strongly suspect, on the (minimal) information you have provided that
>> you are generally a windows user and a linux newbie.
>>

> No. I worked almost exclusively on Unix and linux machines for the best
> part of 10 years. Part of the problem is that that ended 3 years ago - I
> had a career change (now a primary teacher). The other part of the
> problem is that I simply had not had enough time to nut out MythTV.
>
> However, I am pleased to say I agree with you regarding MythTV not being
> a myth - I now have a fully functional MythTV box, recording madly as I
> speak. It is wonderful, and very satisfying. In the end (and of course)
> the problems were user errors - I had chosen an incorrect setting in the
> mythtv setup. Once I'd established what the problem was, the fix was
> easy, and the result immediate.
>
> I will write up the stuff I did, used, and came across, because there
> was no one-stop-shop for those in Australia wanting to set up MythTV. I
> will also include a list of the hardware I have, and the operating
> environment.
>
> Now I just have to find time to watch the shows that are recording.
> Sadly, I suspect that I won't get to see a lot of them...

Great news! All of it: that you are up and running, madly recording, and
that you will write it all up.

  About not getting to watch them...a couple of things to remember: it
only takes about 40 minutes to watch what was a 'one hour' show, if you
flag the commercials and skip them, and using Recording Groups it is
trivially easy to add more hard disk storage space. It is actually more
difficult to install the hardware than to add it to myth! Once installed
and formatted, just mount the new disk partition as /video3 or whatever
and re-run mythtv-setup. Myth does the rest!

Geoff