[mythtv-users] Refresh Rate reported for interlaced output (was: New nVidia 169.07 and interlace changes)

Alex Halovanic halovanic at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 07:01:35 UTC 2007

Well I think nvidia's reporting the refresh rate wrong with nvidia-settings as
mine's showing 29.97 Hz for the component out.  I guess it's almost right as
59.94 Hz /2 for interlacing = 29.97 full frames, but that's not a real
refresh rate by the correct definition.  Maybe they just show Tvs as always
29.97 and DVI devices at ~60 since they're both assumed to be all about the
same?  However, it seems with both of our experiences that it is in fact
producing the correct refresh rate, otherwise I don't think the video would
sync at all, certainly not at 60.05, so my conclusion is that nVidia's got it
just about right and Mythtv's the one that's at fault.

I think the crucial thing in the 'use video as timebase' is that the audio
tends to drift slightly and is not the best source for syncing something as I
end up seeing the fps in the verbose playback output going up and down a lot.
It's too bad the internal player causes DVDs to stutter horribly for me with
this option on or I would use it.

Another problem I suspect is that mythtv doesn't do anything to sync to the
top field so you end up with completely reversed sync half the time.  If that
could be solved (I think I saw a rough patch for it once, but can't for the
life of me find it again) then that would eliminate the pause-unpause hack.

>I was curious
>though...you're not suggesting that's a viable way to use myth are you
>:D.  If I were going to abandon pausing and time shifting, I'd just
>flick my DVI switch over to my old Samsung HD receiver to get true
>1080i :D.
Of course not; I was actually advising pausing a LOT more, especially when you
time-shift ;)

Alex