[mythtv-users] OT: Denon AV Receiver Serial Port Protocol

Damien Dusha d.dusha at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 11:56:12 UTC 2007

I've been looking at RS-232 controlled receivers for a while and just
wish I could find one that wasn't so expensive. I have been talking to
one of my coworkers about designing our own 7.1 amp that takes spdif in
and has both rs-232 and usb control support. Then we could write a
mythmixer module and control the levels independently. We would also
make it so the levels could be stored per channel (I have some channels
that are noticeably louder than others).

-----

Now I'm drooling, but analogue audio power amplifer design is voodoo
black magic (IMHO), and there's all sorts of power compliance issues
that I wouldn't want to touch with a barge pole :)   It gets even worse
when you have all the hardcore audiophiles reckoning that a valve amp
sounds more pure than a class AB, despite the distortions it introduces
(whoops, that might just open a can of worms!)

However, the audio and control side sounds really interesting.  I've
done a little bit of HW design and embedded coding, so it's be an
interesting chat off-list.   There'a actually a bit of a niche market
for a av receiver to do all the processing and passing the signal to
dedicated power amps.

We're well off-topic now, apologies to the rest of the list.

Damien.