[mythtv-users] My First MythTV Box

Mitch Gore mitchell.gore at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 16:36:12 UTC 2007

On Dec 30, 2007 1:01 AM, John Sullivan <lists at benzo8.org> wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> I've finally decided to take the plunge and build my first MythTV box. I
> live in Spain and have a fully paid up subscription to Digital+, and
> it's mainly this that I'll want the MythTV box to manage - recording,
> pausing, etc. I've been looking at hardware configurations and hoped you
> guys could cast an expert eye over my selections to see if any issues I
> may have missed leap out.
>
> Case            CAJA ANTEC NSK 2400
> Motherboard     Asus M2NPV-VM
> Processor       AMD ATHLON 64 X2 5200+ AM2 IN A BOX (2Mb Cache)
> RAM             2 x DIMM 1 Gb DDR2 800 MHZ KINGSTON HYPER-X
> HD 1            HDD 80 Gb 7200 RPM SATA II
> HD 2            HDD 250 Gb 7200 RPM SATA II
> DVB-S           Technotrend Budget S-1500 incl. CI
> Video           Onboard (GeForce 6150)
> Sound           Onboard (ADI AD1986A High Difinition Audio 5.1)
> Optical         DVD-RW PIONEER 112 DOBLE CAPA BLACK
> Keyboard/Mouse  LOGITECH CORDLESS DEKSTOP S510 MEDIA
>
> CAM             Diablo CAM, Programmer, Dummy Card
> DVI-D->HDMI
>

> Having read the wiki, I get the impression that DVB-S, particularly
> encrypted broadcasts, are quite tough to get working. I'm planning to
> use MythBuntu - is there anything anyone can think of that I should be
> aware of while trying to sort all this out?
>
> Thanks for you time!
>
> John...

I dont know much about DVB but if  I was you i would save some money on
RAM.  1 Gig is plenty.  I would go with 2 512mb sticks to get dual channel.
With the extra money I would get some more storage!  Are you buying a 80Gig
HDD?  Or is that a left over that you have?  500GB are only $100 USD  I
would get atleast one.  I assume you are recording HD as you are using
HDMI.  HD takes ~7GB/hour.  250GB isnt really that many shows.  I have 620GB
now and am going to upgrade to another 500GB drive.  This way ill have a TB
of useable space.

Motherboard choices is good i use the same one.
Processor is good.
What are u going to use for a remote?  Just the keyboard?

Just some thoughts....overall good.

Mitchell