[mythtv-users] change in hostname/dhcp/router = instability?

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 18:46:44 UTC 2007

On Dec 30, 2007 1:20 AM, Max Palatnik <mmpalatn at artsci.wustl.edu> wrote:

> Sean,
>
>  Which router is it? What's firmware is it running?
>
> Have you tried changing it back to see if the problem continues?
>
> Max
>
> Sean Goodpasture wrote:
> > running mythdora FWIW.
> >
> > I've got a linksys router and got the wild hair to install DD-WRT on
> > it today.  One of the things you can do is static DHCP.  This allows
> > you to make sure that a given box always gets the same IP.  I guess
> > that it also does something with DNS?  I didn't change the hostname,
> > just the way that the IP is assigned.  The hostname actually stayed
> > the same, but now I can reach the backend by name rather than only by
> > IP.
> >
> > In any case, since doing this, I get all sorts of instability with my
> > main backend.  When watching live TV (on a remote frontend) I get
> > random crashes when changing the channel.  Sometimes the crash happens
> > when I'm playing around in recordings or recording settings.
> >
> > I did watch most of the football 2nd half this evening, but right
> > after it borked when I went to check the score of the college game on
> > ESPN.
> >
> > The bad thing is that there is nothing in the log at all.  Just a
> > changing to Live TV on my tuner and then the restart stuff from when I
> > restart the backend.

<snip>
I bet it changed your FQDN for the box - For example it went from
yourmom.belkin.com to yourmom.somethingelse.com - Some routers pull the DNS
suffix from their WAN router and some don't. If your FQDN changed, the
frontend may be doing some weird DNS query and freaking out. Run a reverse
dns query (fire up nslookup, plop in the IP address and see what name it
spits at you), and see if it matches the name you get when typing hostname
on the backend.