[mythtv-users] HD and cable

Mike Poublon poublon at geeksoft.dyndns.org
Mon Dec 31 00:00:11 UTC 2007

> My understanding is that your cable company should be providing you with
> any signal that you can receive over the air, including local HD digital
> signals, so anything you can get from an antenna should be available via
> cable.
>
> I'd start by talking to your cable company, but, having said that, I
> should say that I have been getting nowhere with my own cable company
> with that argument, the best I have got so far is an offer to sell me an
> A/B switch (for more than twice what I can buy one for).

I had been recieving QAM programs just fine on my TV for several months
until about a month ago when all of a sudden they started showing up as
"unauthorized programs" on my TV. The funny part is, my HDHomerun can
tune them just fine. When I called the cable company up (Charter in west
Michigan, my only choice), I got a little bit of run-around and was
basically told that I was "stealing" because HD programs are only listed
in a digital tier and I wasn't paying for one...

I'd love to be able to watch the local channels live in HD again
(without using the HDHR through Myth), but I'm glad that I can at least
record the shows and watch them later.

If you have any luck with your cable co, or find some bit that states
that the cable co should be providing the basic HD channels for free
please let me know as I'd love to have a little bit more ammo to throw
at them.

-MP