[mythtv-users] Experience with 690G and MythTV - does low def work? (2nd attempt)

Mathog David dmathog at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 31 01:01:00 UTC 2007

(Apologies if you see this as a duplicate, the first
postseems to have jammed.)

I'm putting together a HTPC and have been looking at
some of the 690G motherboards, especially the Gigabyte
GA-MA69GM-S2H, which looks good for this application.
For the present this system need only drive a
conventional TV through component output connections.
Normally there will be no other display, and any
configuration changes will be made via ssh from
another system.  The ATSC source will be a HDhomerun.
I understand that current ATI drivers have issues with
HDTV output.  Even so, aren't they good enough for
smooth display at the modest frequency and resolution
I currently need?  As long as the display is at least
as good as the VCR and  DVD it will be replacing, it
will be good enough.  Eventually we will want to do
real HDTV - hopefully by then either the proprietary
or open source ATI drivers will be up to the task.

I'm assuming that even if the original signal is HD
MythTV can reformat it to a lower resolution - if
that's not true somebody please let me know!

Thanks.