[mythtv-users] 802.11n for a frontend?

Jose Bernardo Silva jose.bandos at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 08:30:08 UTC 2007

On Dec 31, 2007 2:59 AM, Remco Treffkorn <remco at rvt.com> wrote:
> I operate two independent APs in my own house on channel 6 and 10. Currently
> my laptop can only see my closest neighbor on channel 1. Upstairs I get two
> more APs from other neighbors.
>
> All the houses around are here wood frame with drywall and stucco.
>
> When I lived in Germany, our house was made from brick and pretty opaque for
> 2.4 GHz.
>
> Unless you can cite hard data, I will have to disagree with you.
>
> Again: Most people will not have a problem.

Remco,
My hard data - I live in a apartment with 30 and 60cm internal brick
walls. The external wall is 1m thick. My AP is 4 meters from the
frontend, through a doorway in a 60cm wall. The problem are the
windows - they are large and let wifi pass without problems. Also, the
wooden floors help the 3rd floor neighbour AP interfere with my wifi
on the 1st floor.
I've found I have literally 3-5 APs within reach on each of the three
wifi channels (1, 6 and 11). I can watch SD and recorded shows without
much trouble, archived videos and ripped dvds shared over NFS usually
kill the connection. The frontend slows down to a image every couple
of minutes or just hangs.
So, your mileage will vary - but 802.11g bandwidth is almost
exhausted, so 802.11n might be a good idea.