[mythtv-users] My First MythTV Box

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Mon Dec 31 16:38:45 UTC 2007

On Dec 31, 2007, at 8:13 AM, match at ece.utah.edu wrote:

> You're not necessarily mistaken, but an 80GB drive just makes no
> sense at
> all. Look at it this way:
>
> 1. You only have a few physical spaces in the box to mount HDD's, so
> if
> you're going to have 2, then have 2 large ones. You'll never regret
> having the
> additional storage space.

True

> 2. That 80GB drive will make about the same amount of noise and
> consume
> about the same amount of power and hence generate about the same
> amount of heat as the 500GB.

True

> 3. At this time I don't see much value in having the system/DB on a
> separate
> disk, do you?

Not true!

I've often sent praises to heaven that I have a 60GB system drive
separate from my tv recordings drive. I've had system drives die more
frequently than video storage drives due to the mysql activity on it.
Also, because of the high disk activity with small transactions in
mysql all the time, I can tweak that drive to perform better on lots
of small drive activity and use larger blocks and buffers on my video
storage drives.

My first myth system had a single 250GB drive in it. I had constant
recording/playback glitches due to /var being on the same drive as my
video storage. One I put it on a separate IDE channel, I had no more
problems and never looked back.

My recommendation is a small manageable, easy to back up system drive
and a gigantic video drive.