[mythtv-users] Probable bug: Category search list

David Engel david at istwok.net
Mon Dec 31 17:24:25 UTC 2007

On Sun, Dec 30, 2007 at 09:40:45PM -0500, Mike Barnard wrote:
> > It is not a bug, it is a missing feature as I know. I asked this
> > question a few months ago. Mythfilldatabase takes only the first
> > category, others are ignored.
>
>     But the other categories are listed in mythfrontend's "program
> details" screen, so mythfilldatabase must be storing them in the MySQL
> tables. Maybe I'll look at writing a patch for this, but I don't know
> jack about Qt, and my C++ is very rusty. Oh well - no better time to
> sharpen the rusty skill-set, eh? Heh...

Setting the single category attribute from the most prominent of
potentially several genres for a program is done on purpose.  I
suspect this was done to match existing functionality in Myth before
DataDirect support was added, but I'll defer to Bruce Markey on
exactly why.

That being said, I think a patch to add a genre search would probably
be acceptable.  IMHO, I'd like to see it replace the existing category
search.  That would be more involved and probably require changing
mythfilldatabase to populate the genres table for non-DataDirect based
grabbers.

I'm attaching an old, proof-of-concept patch I have to help you see
what might need to be done.  The patch changed the category search
into a two-level genre search.  I did this because I found it useful
to break some searches down to an extra level.  It was also
interesting to just browse and run across interesting programs which
matched combinations of seemingly unrelated genres.

This patch wasn't added because the large number of genre combinations
makes navigating through the views unmanageable.  The solution is to
change the view navigation and popup to explicitly suuport two-levels.
That hasn't been done yet.

David
--
David Engel